They say that dance is a great way to express your emotions. While this may sound like a cliché, the quote seems to have endured throughout the years mainly because there’s truth to it. It’s wise to choose an activity that encourages you to express your very own creativity. Now it all boils down to that one question: So you think you can dance? Definitely! That’s because there’s a style available for everyone!
RHYTHM AND LATIN DANCES
For competitive dancing, the Latin dance styles are grouped into two main categories: American Rhythm and International Latin. The American Rhythm style consists of five dances: Cha-Cha, Rumba, East Coast Swing, Bolero, and Mambo. The International Latin style also consists of five dances: Cha-Cha, Rhumba, Jive, Paso Doble, and Samba. When comparing the two styles, the most obvious difference is that they each have some unique dances. However, all the dances in each style do differ from their counterparts, in subtle ways, mostly having to do with technique. You will find competitive events in each style.
SMOOTH AND STANDARD DANCES
There are two main categories when talking about Standard Dancing – The International Standard and American Smooth. The International Standard style includes five dances: Waltz, Tango, Viennese Waltz, Foxtrot, and Quickstep. This style is danced widely in competitions, both in the United States and throughout the world. The most obvious trait of the International Standard style is the dancers’ constant closed position, where the two dance partners never lose contact (as opposed to American Smooth style, where couples often open up, and dance apart from each other). The Standard dances are also characterized by their very precise elements of technique: footwork, rise & fall, amounts of turn, etc. From this technique emerges a unique elegance and beauty. Four of the Standard dances have their American-style counterparts. The American Smooth dances consist of: Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz. In the American Smooth style, partners often separate from closed dance position, and dance apart from each other. American Smooth is quite popular at social dances, and is danced at major competition events across the United States. The ballroom dance steps in this expressive style are creative and can be extremely fun to dance and watch.
The Benefits of Dancing with Waterloo dance
DANCING: THE IDEAL EXERCISE
Exercising by jogging (outdoors or on a treadmill) is an unattractive alternative for many people. Dancing is a mild form of aerobic workout and dance lessons make exercise a fun and enjoyable social event any night of the week.
Your “dance workout” is beneficial in many ways:
- Olympic athletes often include dance in their training to sharpen control, agility, speed, and balance.
- Dance contributes to good posture and body alignment.
- Dance encourages gentle stretching.
- Dance increases your flexibility and stamina.
- Dance benefits your cardiovascular system as you swing and sway from hips to shoulders.
The romantic properties of dance are a secret that all good dancers enjoy:
- Men feel confident when they recognize which dance is being played and have the ability to walk across the dance floor and ask a lady to dance.
- Women will enjoy being asked to dance knowing that they have mastered the grace, poise, styling, and important following skills of a trained dancer.
- Couples can add the romantic skills that come with the holding, touching, and moving to the music that dancing provides.
- Single people can meet new friends as dancing provides a natural ice breaker and becomes a common denominator in any crowd.
A tailored program at the Waterloo Dance Studio is all you need to turn your dancing and your romantic life around.